Peer-reviewed conference and journal publications
Marlow, J., Wiese, J., and Avrahami, D. (2017). Exploring the Effects of Audience Visibility on Presenters and Attendees in Online Educational Presentations. To appear in Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Communities and Technologies (C&T '17).
Marlow, J., Borrelli, C., Jungbluth, S.P., Hoffman, C., Marlow, J., Girguis, P.R., Dekas, A., Skarke, A., Blackman, D., Fornari, D. and Soule, A., (2017). Opinion: Telepresence is a potentially transformative tool for field science. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 114 (19), 4841-4844.
- Carter, S., Marlow, J., Komori, A. & Mäkelä, V. (2016). Bringing mobile into meetings: Enhancing distributed meeting participation on smartwatches and mobile phones. Proceedings of MobileHCI, 407-417.
- Girgensohn, A., Marlow, J., Shipman, F., & Wilcox, L. (2016). Guiding Users through Asynchronous Meeting Content with Hypervideo Playback Plans. Proceedings of Hypertext 2016, 49-59.
- Agapie, E., Avrahami, D., & Marlow, J. (2016). Staying the Course: System-Driven Lapse Management for Supporting Behavior Change. Proceedings of CHI 2016, 1072-1083. [Honorable Mention Award]
- Marlow, J., Carter, S., Good, N., & Chen, J. (2016). Beyond talking heads: Multimedia artifact creation, use, and sharing in distributed meetings. Proceedings of CSCW, 1703-1715.
- Marlow, J., Van Everdingen, E., & Avrahami, D. (2016). Taking notes or playing games? Understanding multitasking in video communication. Proceedings of CSCW, 1726-1737.
- Avrahami, D., Van Everdingen, E., & Marlow, J. (2016). Supporting multitasking in video conferencing using gaze tracking and on-screen activity detection. Proceedings of ACM Conference on Intelligent User Interfaces (IUI), 130-134.
- Girgensohn, A., Marlow, J., Shipman, F., & Wilcox, L. (2015). HyperMeeting: Supporting asynchronous meetings with hypervideo. Proceedings of ACM Multimedia, 611-620.
- Marlow, J., Dabbish, L., & Forlizzi, J. (2015). Exploring the role of activity trace design on evaluations of online worker quality. Proceedings of CHI 2015, 1617-1620.
- Marlow, J., & Dabbish, L. (2015). The effects of visualizing activity history on attitudes and behaviors in a peer production context. Proceedings of CSCW 2015, 757-764.
- Marlow, J. & Dabbish, L. (2014). From rookie to all-star: Professional development in a graphic design community of practice. Proceedings of CSCW, 922-933.
- Marlow, J. & Dabbish, L. (2014). When is a picture not worth a thousand words? The psychological effects of mediated exposure to a remote location. Computers in Human Behavior, 824-831.
- Marlow, J. & Dabbish, L. (2013). Activity traces and signals in software developer recruitment and hiring. In Proceedings of CSCW, 145–156.
- Marlow, J., Dabbish, L., & Herbsleb, J. (2013). Impression formation in online peer production: activity traces and personal profiles in Github. In Proceedings of CSCW, 117–128.
- Tang, J., Marlow, J., Hoff, A., Roseway, A., Inkpen, K., Zhao, C., & Cao, X. (2012). Time travel proxy: using lightweight video recordings to create asynchronous, interactive meetings. In Proceedings of CHI, 3111–3120.
- Marlow, J., & Dabbish, L. (2011). Photo sharing in diverse distributed teams. In Proceedings of CSCW, 317–320.
- Cox, A., Clough, P., & Marlow, J. (2008). Flickr: A first look at user behaviour in the context of serious leisure. Information Research, 13 (1).
- Marlow, J. & Dabbish, L. (2014). Who's the boss? Requester transparency and motivation in a microtask marketplace. In CHI Extended Abstracts, 2533-2538.
- Marlow, J. & Dabbish, L. (2013). Designing to improve interpersonal impression accuracy in online peer production. In CHI Extended Abstracts, 925–930.
- Marlow, J., & Dabbish, L. (2012). Designing interventions to reduce psychological distance in globally distributed teams. In Proceedings of CSCW Companion, 163–166.